Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Yes, I do still knit...

Well, what do you know? It's a non-Simon-centered post! (Don't worry, he does appear in a photo, so you grandparents can just skip to the bottom of the post for your Simon-photo-fix!) I just thought I should update my knitting friends, since I hardly see them in person anymore, on what I've been up to.

The build-up to Christmas consisted of making a pinwheel sweater for my sister. It was mostly finished by Christmas, completely done by the time Simon was born. I knit it with KnitPick's Swish Superwash, which is really soft and I pretty much want to make everything with now that my life involves spit up and occasionally being peed upon, and hand washing anything is just laughable (not that I was really into handwashing things before...but then I would have at least considered it, for a hand-knit garment). Doesn't she look great in it?

Liz in her pinwheel sweater

I decided to add a couple toggles so it could either close or hang open in the front--the loopy edge (which I love, though it was rather tedious) worked well as ready-made button holes.

Here's how the whole thing looks spread out--its kind of a funky sweater...which is probably why I thought of my funky sister when I saw the pattern :)


Once I finished that, I had a much smaller sweater to make, for my friend Jen's baby who is due in March. This was blissfully quick after making a grown-up sweater (and even that one went pretty quick!). It's called "Baby Cable Cardigan" and I knit it in KnitPick's Shine Worsted, so its washable and all that jazz. When I picked out the yarn I didn't know that they knew they were having a girl, so I thought a bright blue/turquoise would be a nice spring-sweater color for either a boy or girl...and now, having seen just a smattering of the pink she received at a recent baby shower, I'm glad I didn't know it was a girl, so I wasn't even tempted to go down the its-a-girl-she-must-wear-pink road!

I finished this in a rush to finish in time for Jen's baby shower, so I forgot to take a picture of the sweater itself...but I did try it on Simon to check out the sizing--so here he is modeling what claims to be a 0-6 month sweater, filling it out at 6 weeks old!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • As the recipient (or at least the mother of the recipient) of the "Baby Cable Cardigan", I have to say that it's totally awesome, and I'm glad that it's blue! This way, if the lab tech was wrong about it being a girl, our boy won't have a completely pink wardrobe :) Plus, it's a sweet color in and of itself!

    By Blogger Teranu, At 10:31 PM  

  • Hi Jess -- I love this sweater!!! And so do all my co-workers... and classmates... and random people on the street -- the knitters of the world shed all inhibitions in order to comment on this wonderful, wearable work of art.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    --Liz

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:38 PM  

  • Oh yay! Gift knitting is always so risky, I'm glad to hear I've had a few successes!

    By Blogger Jessica, At 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home