Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Our sensory kid

It seems that Simon loves sensory activities--playing in water (during his bath, or "helping" with the dishes), playing in the bins of various substances--sand, rice, etc.--they often have set up at ECFE, playing in gravel at playgrounds, etc.

We just had an impromptu picnic the other night and Simon had lots of fun digging in the dirt on the baseball diamond at the park, placing it on various surfaces, spreading it around, and letting it run through his fingers.

Yay for Dirt:


It took me a while, but I'm finally catching up in getting him some more access to those types of activities at home.

A couple weeks ago we made homemade playdoh for the first time (thanks for the recipe, Katie & Alex!). It was lots of fun, though I think I didn't cook it quite long enough, or something--it was a little sticky (thankfully, Simon didn't know the difference...and on later uses, the playdoh has become less sticky and more playdoh-like).

Homemade Playdoh:

4 Comments:

  • That looks like fun! I think I want to join him. Mom (Phyllis) has a recipe for Play Dough too. Maybe it is not as sticky -- although sticky can be fun too.

    Dad (John)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:26 PM  

  • Is this the recipe with oil in it? I got a playdough recipe that has some oil in it from Alex's mom and it's fantastic - not sticky at all! I'm worried that you have our "old" playdough recipe! The oil makes it non-sticky, but not oily, amazingly...it lasts longer too...not AS crusty...
    Let me know and I can email you...maybe your Mom's recipe is similar!

    glad that he loves it though...has he started trying to eat it yet?!!
    Katie

    By Blogger Kate, At 9:38 AM  

  • Here's my world famous Play Dough recipe. This always worked really well - it feels really good to use it when it's still warm (but not hot).

    PLAY DOUGH

    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup salt
    2 tsps. alum
    Mix these together well.
    Then add:
    1 cup boiling water (add food coloring if desired)
    Knead well and then add 2 1/2 tsps. vegetable oil.
    Work in well. Refrigerate when not being played with.

    I love Simon in his baseball cap! Can't wait to see him in a week or so.

    Love,
    Mom
























    Dough

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:34 PM  

  • Thanks for the recipe, Mom! Katie, I think we must have your old recipe, as it doesn't have any oil in it...we have also gotten yet a different one from ECFE, and I found one in one of our recipe books, so I guess we have a lot of choices to experiment with next time we make playdoh!

    -Jess

    By Blogger Jessica, At 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home