Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Louisville

Aha! We are closing the gap, and are now only one week behind real life here in blogland...soon our two time scales will actually merge and tremendous things will happen! So, a week ago--the last weekend in April...

We drove all the way down to Louisville, Kentucky. Why? So I could present a poster at a conference there. Now, this conference is not as well known as some others in my field, and Louisville is not exactly a "prime" location for a conference (as opposed to San Francisco, for instance), so this led to many of my colleagues, upon hearing of my plan, to ask with incredulity "why are you going THERE?" Well, dear colleagues, the reason is twofold:
  1. I am but a lowly second year grad student, who didn't actually do research as an undergrad...so this is, I'm sad to say, my first actual honest-to-goodness poster at a national conference. I don't care if it's a slightly lesser-known conference, and I don't care if its in Kentucky--I just want to finally have one line on my Vita that shows I have actually done research, at some point in my life!
  2. I have friends in Kentucky, friends who I haven't seen in 5+ years. So I didn't really mind the location, anyway.
Andy was kind enough to accompany me on this grand excursion:

Andy & I, Louisville skyline in the background.


The Derby Festival was well underway, as we were there just one week before the Derby.


This funny-looking guy drove down from Ohio to see us :-)


Pete & Melissa


Miss Natalie!
(I hadn't seen Natalie in about 6 years, I think.)


Mikiba! and Mike!
(I hadn't seen Mikiba in about 6 years, either...I hadn't seen Mike in at least 11...yes, that means that the last time I saw Mike, we were about 14 years old)


Lamar :-)
(Lamar I had seen most recently, about 5 years ago)


Everybody (except Andy, who's taking the picture)...it was a mini-middle school reunion!

By the way, its amazing how grown up everyone seems when your most vivid memories of them are from when they were 12-14 years old. Thanks for a great time everyone, it was so good to see you all again!

4 Comments:

  • Nor should you care about location, or status, or whatever - posters exist purely to get lines on vitas, I think. You could have presented the poster on the side of the road on the way home and added a second vita line!

    Also? Your middle school reunion looks a lot less traumatic than mine would be. Glad you had a good trip!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:11 AM  

  • It was great to see your photos - I liked seeing your friends, too, since I also haven't seen them in years. They brought back memories! Hey, Mike - if you read this, say "Hi" to your Mom for me. I really liked her alot and she was one of the few bright spots in the place we worked - neat lady!
    Love,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:06 PM  

  • HEY! It has been some time since I haven't seen a picture of Lamar or him since our freshmen year when he crashed on our floor! Good times! Loves Yessica! Liz

    By Blogger Liz, At 3:23 PM  

  • Great pictures! It's fun to see how your old friends look now.
    Jen

    By Blogger Jen, At 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home