Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Friday, August 10, 2007

Baby Development Update: All's Well

It's been an exciting week for us on the baby-anticipation front! Yesterday we had our level 2 ultrasound, and are happy to report that all is well. Baby is developing normally and we aren't at increased risk for anything, basically!

Pickle, looking up and opening his/her mouth (week 19)

During the ultrasound they looked at all kinds of things--brain structures, organs, blood flow--it was really fascinating. Have YOU ever seen your child's cerebellum? Kidneys? Diaphragm? Heart? Aorta? We have! (And hopefully never will have reason to again!)

Pickle's arm, bent with hands near his/her face (week 19)

The lab tech and doctor both told us our baby was very active, which we'll take to be a good sign :). And that reminds me, the other excitement of earlier this week--I finally felt the baby move! So exciting! I've felt it several times since, but its still pretty transitory and fluttery-like. From what we hear it will only be a few more weeks until we're feeling hard kicks that Andy will be able to feel on the outside as well--as it is I go to feel my stomach with my hand and can't even tell anything's going on inside, though as we saw on the ultrasound our baby is definitely on the move even when I can't feel it (inside OR out).

I've also had what we're considering my first official craving, and can hardly believe I'm turning out to be such a stereotypical pregnant lady--it's pickles. I've gone through a large jar of baby dills in a week and a half, pretty much by myself. In fact, the first time I felt the baby move was after eating a bunch of baby dills and singing a rousing rendition of the Gedney pickle song with Andy (which Andy, Minnesota native, has been thoughtful enough to teach me)--hence the baby's current nickname, Pickle.

Gedney...it's the Minnesota pickle...

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Are you aware that both of your nicknames for the baby have to do with food? First "bean" and now "pickle". Maybe that's a clue as to the name you're thinking of - cauliflower? marmalade? jelly bean? Mmmmm. I'm getting hungry guessing! Actually, baby has a lovely round, cute head. How exciting to see him/her becoming more and more a little person all the time! Andy, I hope you'll teach us the pickle song when we come to Red Wing. We non-Minnesotans have been deprived too long!

    Love,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:31 PM  

  • So if the baby is "Pickle" does that mean it is now brining? Since you're both Gentiles, I guess Pickle won't be kosher...

    But at least, sweet :)

    Natalie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:56 PM  

  • I think you're still all right as long as you don't start craving pickles dipped in marmalade or anything, Jess! IF that happens, well, we'll just blame it on placental shunting and leave it at that :-) Pickle looks adorable by ultrasound - I think I see a mischievous twinkle to his/her little eye already!

    Katie

    By Blogger Alex, At 9:55 AM  

  • What a beautiful baby! We are so excited for you and are so glad to have this experience along side you. Wasn't that ultrasound amazing with what they can see? We kept asking, "and what is that?" because he was just crusing through and we were just in awe of our little one in there! This is such an exciting time and I'm thrilled for you to have felt the baby move! Isn't it incredible?! :) And way to go on the pickles - I have to say I'm right there with ya on that craving.

    By Blogger a&e, At 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home