Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Knitting Resumes

After a long dry spell, I am happily knitting again. Summer and the relative lack of responsibility and stress has thus far been a good match for me and my crafty leanings!

I am still working on the Alexi Cardigan, which I began before Simon was born. I now have two pieces done: the back and the left front. That leaves the right front, both sleeves, assembling, collar/button band, etc...in other words, I'm nowhere near done. But that's okay, I'm just glad to be knitting again. Simon was eager to help me display the current status of Alexi Cardigan, especially because it meant that (since it was no longer on the needles) I was letting him touch and play with my knitting!:

the left front & back--makes for comfortable sitting, apparently


detail close-up (my first real adventure in cables!)

detail close-up (my first real adventure in parenting!)


and when I was done taking pictures, rather than letting me put the knitting away, Simon was very eager to test out its usefulness as a drum...with a maraca as the drumstick...apparently it was a satisfactory drum, because he certainly enjoyed himself!

I've also started a fun new project, since progress on the cardigan is rather slow and tedious with all the cables: I am making some toys for Simon--two dolls, to start, from the book World of Knitted Toys. My first creation-in-progress is the farmer doll:

I trust that she'll look nearly as adorable as the picture when she's sewn and stuffed!

So far this is a good counterpoint for the cardigan, because rather than taking forever, this one is like near-instant gratification--knitting a little leg takes no time at all! I am learning that the labor intensive part will come with the actual construction of the doll--for some reason all pieces are knit flat, not in the round, which seems particularly silly for things like arms and legs that would be so easy to knit in the round and then not have to sew up! (After I finish this doll, I may need to do some pattern tweaking before I start the next...)

And as a non-knitting bonus, we have a video treat as well. Simon has a playdate (babysitting swap) with Zoe every Wednesday. When it is his turn to go to her house, as it was today, he is lucky enough to have new and exciting toys to play with, including a piano--this afternoon Andy caught Zoe & Simon on camera practicing a duet. We're not sure when they're planning the world premiere of this magnificent piece, but if we get either of them to tell, we'll be sure to let you all know so you can attend ;).

2 Comments:

  • Ferrante and Teicher! (Does anybody out there remember them?) Those two are just too cute. I think Simon's got it in the fingers. Love all the photos, Jess - the video of Simon playing in the corn is great, too. What fun!
    Love,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:40 PM  

  • Sing us a song, you're the piano man
    Sing us a song tonight
    Well, were all in the mood for a melody
    And you've got us feelin' alright

    Annie Mouse

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home