Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Group

I thought I should post a photo of our group. This was taken at the home of Basil Manning--who is seated in front in the middle. Sitting on Basil's right is my professor, Dr. Charles, and onCharles's right is his son Karl--who is very smart and a lot of fun.

In the middle row, from the left, is Charle's wife Kris (a professor at St. Thomas University), Thevan (a CARAS staff member who I'll introduce in a future post), Leah (a college senior and daughter of a Luther Seminary staff person), Mark (a PhD student of Charles at the seminary), some random guy who wandered into the shot, and Christian (an MDiv senior at the seminary).

In the back row, from the left, is Jolene (Basil's son's girlfriend), Matthew (Basil's son who is an elementary school teacher), and Brandon (an MTh student at the seminary)

Brandon, Christian, Leah, Mark, and I were the five that came from the US.

One important person not pictured in the group (because she is behind the camera) is Charles's daugter, Shaheen, who is 26 and travelled with us to Cape Town and elsewhere. She was a lot of fun and a good conversationalist. Here she is on the coast of the Indian Ocean:
(Update: my mistake, that's the Atlantic Ocean in Cape Town)


Another important entity that is not pictured as part of the 'whole group' is my sweet umbrella. (note the floral print AND special frilly edge) I have three words for you: Height Of Cool


Jessica's and my friend, Andria , who is currently living in Johannesburg is now the proud owner of this fine accessory (the umbrella).

5 Comments:

  • Only you, Andrew, can hold the paragon of effeminate parasols and still look rugged and macho.

    By Blogger sprocketplug, At 10:10 PM  

  • Thanks, buddy--I try.

    By Blogger Ole, At 8:57 AM  

  • On an unrelated note... Andy, the other night when you sang 'A boy named Sue,' you were probably the 'whitest' that I had ever seen you. Off key, off rhythm, turning a little red from the effort.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:27 PM  

  • Thanks Lief. I had been laboring under the impression that I was the one white guy who could carry a tune, be on rythm, etc. Thank you for disabusing me of that notion. Very kind, very kind. One correction, though: "turing a little red from the alcohol...the alcohol...

    By Blogger Ole, At 8:44 AM  

  • Ha HA HA!! NICE parasol...really nice :-) looks like a fun group to travel with...I bet there was lots of quality discussion as well as lots of laughs!

    Katie

    By Blogger Alex, At 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home