Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Thursday, September 25, 2008

And the knit goes on...

Knit-night has returned!

We may be a smaller group than before...but it matters not. What's important is the wine, the commiserating, the laughing, and of course, the knitting that sometimes happens.

The return of knit-night reminded me that I never got around to posting about Simon's hand-knit clothes. If you have been a long-time reader of this blog, you know that I knit little "Pickle" a few different things. Well, he's now about the size to wear some of them, so we recently had a little hand-knit fashion show. The results were...um, interesting:

kimono sweater

This was the first to be tried on, because as I was going through Simon's clothes (switching out too-small clothes for slightly-too-big clothes, which it seems I have to do every 2-3 weeks!), he grabbed it. He seemed to like the white fluffy edging! It is huge, as you can see--but it should be, as its a 24 month size (those are supposed to three-quarter sleeves).

overalls

Then we tried these on--some blue overalls that I don't think I ever told anyone I knit, because it was early in my knitting days and they did NOT turn out proportionally correct at all. Given how odd-looking they were lying flat, they looked surprisingly good on Simon--course, they were still rather odd, with super-long straps, a low-rising 'bib', too-long legs, and a super-low-rise waist. This angle might show a bit better what I mean:

not quite enough to cover that cloth-diaper-butt, eh?

And last but certainly not least, the little multi-colored cardigan & pants set I knit in tediously small yarn:
aren't I handsome?

This actually fits quite well, despite its also looking a little out-of-proportion when laid flat. The cardigan turned out a little short and wide...but apparently so is Simon :). Of course, I didn't actually have the guts to keep him in it for long, as I knew it was only a matter of minutes before it was covered in one or more bodily fluids from Simon. We'll have to find some special occasions for him to wear it to before he outgrows it...or at least something special-er than sitting around the house!

5 Comments:

  • those look great! I'm really impressed by the overalls given the proportions they have when laying flat! Now I want a pair of knit overalls to lay around the house in!

    And the green sweater is amazing as it always was! I'm glad it fits him!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 7:52 AM  

  • Oh, I miss knit night! I still have wine and sometimes knitting, though, but it's not the same without y'all.

    It's so exciting to see Simon in the cardigan. :)

    By Blogger anne, At 9:03 AM  

  • That green sweater is really stunning. And I like the overalls too--he's just a fashinable kid.

    By Blogger Jen, At 7:10 AM  

  • The knitted items all look great! Simon is lucky to have such a talented mom :)

    On an unrelated note, we have that same bird toy that shows up in two of the pictures and wobbles and makes musical sounds. Zoe loves it!

    --Jen, Adam, and Zoe

    By Blogger Teranu, At 7:45 PM  

  • Oh knit night, how I miss you. Jess, the cardigan looks beautiful! You've inspired me to think about dedicating time to my old favorite hobby!

    By Blogger Kam, At 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home