Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Knitting Notes


I think its time for a knitting update. I have been knitting all along, but mostly working on Christmas presents, which I can't exactly show on my blog pre-Christmas, can I?

I am working on a non-present project now, though, and here it is: a baby kimono-style sweater. Basically its a cardigan-like wrap-around sweater (as you may be able to see from the book photos of it). I've been wanting to tackle a grown-up sweater for myself, but buying that much yarn is quite expensive, and I'm still a bit intimidated by the idea that I could just screw up the entire thing...so I thought starting with a baby sweater would be wise, sort of as a warm-up. This one I thought was adorable, and also quite functional...of course, there is the problem that I don't have a child of my own that will be able to wear a size 12-month sweater when it is finished. I thought of making it for BOJ, way early...but by next year, when BOJ will be 12 months, I could just make another sweater specifically for him/her if I really wanted to...and little Ben who will be 12 months in February happens to be in a tropical country, where I'm afraid a sweater wouldn't do much good. So I decided to make it for the as-yet un-conceived future child of mine and Andy's...in other words, I decided to make it just because and I'm sure someday it will be used.

I just finished the right front piece today and sewed the top shoulder seams together--so now it looks like a vest of some kind...but it will grow sleeves and trim and ties in the next week or so, to become a full baby kimono sweater--my first sweater ever!

3 Comments:

  • It's nice to know that you're thinking of my as yet unconceived future grandchild and want to keep he/she warm. It looks very cute!
    Love,
    Your as yet unconceived future child's grandmother

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:48 PM  

  • Oops! I should have said "him/her". Hope the grammar police don't get me!
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:49 PM  

  • Adorable! If you haven't bought the trim yarn yet, remind me to let you dive through my stash tonight -- I may have something that could work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home