Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Monday, October 31, 2005

TA-DA! It is finished!

Well, that "week or so" over which the sleeves and trim on my baby-kimono sweater were going to grow turned out to be only two days, since I spent the weekend knitting rather than studying (and what a lovely weekend it was, too!). So, I am pleased to present, my first-ever hand-knit sweater creation, The Baby Kimono Sweater:


I should probably issue a general warning: anyone planning to visit my home in the next weeks (months?) will probably be shown this sweater. Oooh-ing and aaaah-ing is advised.

I am very proud of this little sweater. Oddly proud, actually. I mean, I have many accomplishments in my life that I would consider worthy of pride--being admitted into a top-notch graduate program, for instance--and yet, my joy and happiness at having successfully created this little sweater from mere string just about equals, if not surpasses, my pride in being a grad student in a great child psych program (at the moment anyway, we'll not surmise as to the long-term sense of accomplishment each might result in).

What does this mean? Am I destined to be a knitter rather than a psychologist or academician? I'm guessing not. Were knitting to move from the "hobby" realm into the money-earning, source-of-livelihood realm (which graduate school now occupies), I doubt I would remain enamored for long...but there is something special about being able to say "I made this"...you know, with my own two hands. :-)

3 Comments:

  • I love it. Grown-up sweater, here you come. I bet that at your current pace, a grown-up sweater would take you approximately 7 days. Go for it! Knit picks yarn is NOT that expensive. And you will have made it! With your own two hands!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:35 PM  

  • Isn't it wonderful to feel creative and proud of your creation? Savor the feeling. I've felt that way, too, with needlepoint projects, or Halloween costumes I've made, or a good article I've written, or even a great dinner I've cooked. It's one of the natural highs of life. Enjoy!

    Love,
    Mom

    PS Did I forget to mention it's darn cute!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:00 PM  

  • Absolutely adorable! I wish I had had the sweater and the yet as unconceived neice/nephew to bring with me to a Japanese drumming concert we went to on Thursday. Do unconceived children need tickets?

    By Blogger Jen, At 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home