Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Monday, July 17, 2006

Prelims: The Scoop

Days until prelims start: 1
Days until prelims end: 2

Well, today is my last day of waiting, fretting, and trying to ignore prelims.

Tomorrow is the day--Day #1. For those of you less familiar with prelims, here's the deal: Prelims last two days (Tuesday & Wednesday). Each day I'll have six hours to answer two questions....for a total of four questions answered (between 20 and 40 pages of writing in a total of 12 hours). When it's all over each day, I'll email my anonymous responses in to a secretary at school, who turns all of the students' answers in to the prelim readers. The readers, three professors, then read through all 10 students' answers, which amounts to a good 200 to 400 pages of reading for a each of them (poor things). They decide together who passes, who fails, and who gets a "conditional pass," meaning you need to rewrite one or two of your answers.

So, in case you're wondering, I won't know right away whether or not I've passed. I don't actually know how long it will be until I find out...I'm guessing about a week (?)...and then longer if I have to do any rewrites. Luckily, we have the excitement of getting our house ready to move into to distract me from wondering when I'll hear back from the readers--we are meeting Thursday with the owner to sign our rental agreement, and then can go in and start cleaning, moving boxes of stuff we don't actually use on a daily basis, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the happy thoughts and well wishes...if you have any extra brain power you could loan me for a couple of days, I'd appreciate it. You know, just telepathically send smart waves my way...

See you on the flip side.

3 Comments:

  • Mrs. Gubbins... We have the utmost confidence in you mental prowess. We know you can do it! Good luck!

    Alex and Katie

    By Blogger Alex, At 7:54 PM  

  • I know you can do it, too. You've been doing wonderful things for all the years we've known you - which, come to think of it, is longer than anyone else has known you! Good luck, sweetie. Your brain power is enviable. You'll do great!
    Love,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:13 PM  

  • AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, THIS IS EXCITING BECAUSE OF COURSE YOU ARE GOING TO DO AMAZINGLY WELL AND THEN YOU CAN RELAX AND ENJOY MOVING INTO A NEW HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger a&e, At 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home