Mr. & Mrs. Gubbins & Sons

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Best Christmas Present

I would like you to introduce my new friend, the best Christmas present ever, which Ioan surprised me with tonight: Ananaha.


There is a story about Ananaha, which I'm sure you all want to hear, so here goes:

Andy will be spending three weeks in South Africa this January, during which time Jessica will be at home and fending for herself...she will be lonely, no doubt. Thus, when we were recently at Costco, with Ioan, Jessica saws these enormous, soft, cuddly puppy dogs and declared that she had to buy one because it could be Andy's replacement while he was away--you know, so the bed didn't seem as large and whatnot. Visions of a large stuffed dog propped at the table "eating" dinner with Jess no doubt popped into Andy and Ioan's minds...

I didn't actually buy the dog though, because really, aren't there more "useful" and "needed" things I could spend our money on?

Incidentally, I have wanted a super-over-sized stuffed creature ever since I was a little girl. I remember seeing a huge white polar bear when I was little and asking for it. I got a familiar response from my Mom: "If you really want it, we can buy it and it will be your Christmas present...but it's expensive, so if you get this, it might be the only gift you get this Christmas." (What a great line, Mom! I'm so using that one...) So I didn't want the big polar bear badly enough to have it be potentially the ONLY thing I would get for Christmas...and I lived without it.

But every so often I would see similar large, stuffed, cuddly creatures and get a familiar longing...I've just always wanted one. And tonight, I got out of my car to see Ioan holding this gorgeous puppy!


As he is Andy's replacement--see the resemblance?--I've decided to name him Ananaha. (If you'd like to hear why this name has anything to do with Andy, you'll have to ask Alex for that story.)

3 Comments:

  • Gosh, Jess, what a mean Mom you had when you were a kid! So it was the polar bear deprivation thing that made you the way you are, huh? Ah . . . those decisions we parents make, never foreseeing the long term consequences. I had no idea! (Actually, I don't even remember the polar bear incident! But I do remember the Puffalump Bunny incident at Easter. You got that one . . but you had to wait a few weeks. That lesson in delayed gratification has served you well. Look how long it took you and Andy to get married!)
    Love,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:09 PM  

  • Andy--I wouldn't stay away too long. Looks like that adorable puppy is homing in on your turf.

    Jen

    By Blogger Jen, At 7:08 AM  

  • Andy, that dog has nothing on you. I've seen your trivial pursuit skills and I wager that dog is no match. As for his name, the story is shorter than you think. Practice saying the dashing young lads name... "Andy Nelson". Come on.. do it out loud, no one is listening. There. Now open your mouth as wide as possible and without moving your jaw say his name again. Well there you have it! Ananaha. :-) But what if Jess ever leaves the country? May I suggest Jahahapla?

    -Alex

    By Blogger Alex, At 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home